The “Ask a Tree Care Advisor” booth in the Eco Experience Building at the Minnesota State Fair has been staff by Tree Care Advisor volunteers since 2013. The “Ask a Tree Care Advisor” booth was originally a one-time addition to the Climate Change area, but an invitation from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) was extended to return and has since become a permanent fixture. The public can ask tree and shrub related questions at the booth during all 12 days of the Minnesota State Fair. Additionally, in 2017 youth could participate in the building-wide Bingo game by answering a question at the booth.
Tree Care Advisors
Tree Care Advisor volunteers will be asked to answer questions that the public has and provide resources and materials that can help Minnesota residents care for their trees.
Be Prepared To:
- Answer questions regarding tree identification, selection, disease and insect identification, proper planting practices, and young tree care
- Give our research-based information only
- Direct fair-goers around the exhibit area toward posters, samples, handouts, etc. that may help answer questions
- Interact with both adults and children
- Ask questions and spend time with the volunteers to make sure their needs are met
- Track questions & topics through a written binder method and clicker counters
- Shifts: 4 hour shifts (9:00am to 1:00pm, 1:00pm to 5:00pm, and 5:00pm to 9:00pm)
- Arrival: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to shift beginning to facilitate an easier transition, to get acquainted with the exhibit area, and feel more prepared for your shift
- Entry: 1 complimentary ticket per shift that you sign up for (mailed in advance)
- Transportation: Volunteers are responsible for making their way to the booth on their own. Park nearby, use public transportation, etc. Parking will not be provided.
Only Tree Care Advisors may sign up for these shifts. If you are a Citizen Pruner or Tree Steward and feel confident in answering all types of tree and shrub questions, you are welcome to participate as well. Your shift partner can certainly help you with questions as they come up.
Dates: State Fair Dates
Shift Times: 9:00am to 1:00pm, 1:00pm to 5:00pm & 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Shift Availability: Each shift will have 2 volunteers seats available. You are welcome to sign-up for as many or as few shifts as you would like.
Perks: Volunteers will receive one free admission ticket for each shift they sign up for
- Prior to the State Fair, all volunteers must either attend an in-person orientation at the Eco Experience Building (date and time to be announced) OR they must read through the Orientation Guide provided by Eric North & Ashley Reichard
- All volunteers must wear our green, Tree Care Advocate shirts to be easily identified. If you have purchased a shirt, please bring your own. If you do not have a shirt, we will have some available for day-of-use that must be left at the booth.
- Volunteers must be able to get themselves to and from the Eco Experience building either by driving, using public transportation, etc. Details will be provided closer to the fair
Questions: Please e-mail Ashley Reichard at [email protected] if you have any outstanding questions about positions, times, etc.
How to Sign Up
Sign-up is closed for the 2021 "Ask a Tree Care Advisor" booth at the Minnesota State Fair. We have filled at least every shift with one person and no longer have enough time to mail out tickets for volunteer shifts.
Thank you to those who have signed up this year. For those you did not, we completely understand and hope that you will rejoin us in the future when you feel safe and comfortable to do so.